Wednesday, November 12, 2008

So, what should I write about today? Elections? Nah! Too much is being said and shown about it already! Let me write about one of those many relationships we homo sapiens share with each other-the Mother in law and daughter in law relationship!

Have you ever wondered why this relationship is frought with misunderstandings, petty arguments, power issues ,etc? Not to mention the same problems between spouses! But that is not what I wish to write about and it is definitely not in the scope of my blog! :-)

"Letting go" - this is one of the many reasons most mothers in law find it difficult to accept that "other new woman" in her son's life. Every mother is bound to feel that she knows her son best like no other lady would and she (mom in law) probably does! But as our marriage ages we wives get to know our husbands pretty darn good too. Yes my mom in law, you are still the only one who knows my husband the best! :-)

There are many MIL ( mother in law) and DIL ( yup, you got it right!) relationships that are wonderful and guess what, I am one of those lucky few to experience one such relationship...I am not saying that we do not have our fair share of foibles but on the whole we have a warm and wonderful communication between each other. Isn't that the key to a good relationship? Infact I feel a little bit of arguing is good for a healthy relationship..What do you think? I am greatful for my terrific inlaws but then again like it is said ,it take two hands to clap so I make sure as a DIL I make my MIL feel very warm and welcomed in my home, talk to her freely about any issues and at the same time respect her as my husband's mother.

I know of some women who refuse to have anything to do with their inlaws when they are visiting their sons in the US. C'on, given that there has been some tensions between MIL and DIL but that does not mean that you toally ignore them. After all ,are we forgetting that it is because of them that we have our wonderful husbands to call our very own!

Infact I have my absolultey wonderful parents to thank for who taught me how to behave as a DIL. My mom always says" remember one thing, your MIL has a lot more experince in life than you in many aspects and she is always trying to help you make better choices and decisions, when she is explaining something to you. Don't think of it as she nagging you because if the same thing were told to you by me, your mother, then you would take it in the right spirit and not consider it nagging, would you?!" Hmmm....mom you are right!

What really exasperates me these days is these darn stupid hindi serials that have nothing more than devious plots about ML and DIL exploiting each other. Yes, it does expose a bit of reality but what the heck! Why dont they show something good coming out of this relationship too? There are two sides to every coin you know.

On a lighter note, sometimes I wonder what kind of a MIL I would be!!! Yup , I have 2 sons and hopefully I will get to read something nice about myself too if my Daugthers in law create blogs! :-)

God bless my in laws!

2 comments:

Kavitha said...

Can't wait to see u as an MIL :)

Anjali said...

but i am not! Let me enjoy just being a mother for now, we shall see the MIL part later! :-)